Toad in a Hole  

Posted by: anna* in , , , , ,

It´s spring at last! Yay! Even sun-allergic me is happy about that! Yeah, I know, after spring comes summer and that means I will be complaining about the heat but in the meanwhile I´ll just enjoy my favorite season with all the pretty and incredibly well smelling flowers and people starting to cheer up and everything.
And among all those pretty trees and flowers I have a favorite: 
The huge peartree in our backyard. Look, isn´t it pretty? Ours is a five story, turn of the century house with super high ceilings and the tree is as tall as the house! Amazing, right? Unforunately the sheer size of it makes it problematic: 
a) It´s lowest branches are still too high to reach so I whave to wait for the pears to be super ripe and fall down, then hope I´m faster than the bugs or squirrels that are waiting for fallen fruits as well.
b) It´s so tall that it can´t be groomed properly. Doesn´t sound too bad, just let the tree grow as it likes, right? But! Fruit trees only bear fruit if maintained properly. So in the past few years we only got pears every other year. There should be fruit this year, though, and if that´s the case, I promise you some nice pear recipes.
Looking forward to that.

In the meantime, let´s do something completely different. 
In 1993, I was 14, I went to Great Britain with my mom. My only time traveling with my mother, believe it or not, and we actually had a lot of fun. And enjoyed the food. Yes, british food has a terrible reputation but I don´t think it´s that bad. Just look beyond Haggis and you´ll find great puddings and pasties and whatnot. 
My point being: when we got back we got a british cookbook and this is my favorite recipe from it (long lost since). 

Toad in a Hole

Ingredients
225 g Flour (all purpose)
1/2 ts Salt
2 Eggs
250ml Milk
8 little Sausages
1 big Onion
1 ts Bakingpowder

How to
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Mix the flour with the bakingpowder and the salt. 
Mix the eggs with the milk. 
Slowly pour the egg/milk mixture into the flour mix and stir well. It should be pretty runny and after resting for about half a minute the batter should be all bubbly.
Set aside for 15 minutes. 
 Bubbly batter
Fry the sausages in a pan until they are well browned. This time I had four big ones over from our first barbeque of the season so instead of eight little ones I used these. 
Cut the Onion and fry it until all yummy looking brown as well. 
Sausages
Handsome Onions
Grease a pan. I remember the book telling me to "arrange" the sausages and the onions and I still have no clue what that is supposed to mean. I put the onions on top of the sausages, that´s all the "arranging" I do. If you can think of something better... feel free to tell me! 
Steaming onions and sausages
Pour the batter over sausages and onions. 
 All together, looking... boring.
Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Or until everything is nice and golden brown. 
Half eaten before I could take a picture...
This is a very easy, very tasty recipe that I recommend for lazy days. Not much to prepare, nothing challenging... Best eaten with a bit of mustard.


So I dare you to try something british. Come on, be brave. It´s good.
Have fun. 
Thanks for reading.^^
a*

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2013 and is filed under , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

FIVE story house?! Wah, so tall! I've never heard of such a thing...but then again I live in the US, where we expand out horizontally instead of vertically. AND I MEAN THAT IN REFERENCE TO HOUSES/BUILDINGS, not people...(although I suppose that is generally true as well ^^;)

Anyway, I never knew that fruit trees don't bear fruit unless they are pruned properly...maybe that's why a plum tree we had in my yard as a child got less fruit-y over the years?

Oh and this recipe looks really tasty! Sausage, onion, and batter, what's not to like!? XD

Post a Comment