Cheese & Mustard  

Posted by: anna* in , ,

It sounds so complicated and yet...
Ingrediences
Paneer Cheese:
1 liter Milk
4 TS Vinegar

Sweet Mustard:
100gr Mustardseeds
10gr Salt
50gr Sugar
60gr Vinegar
40gr Water

See, not many ingrediences, right? Usually that means it´s easy. And it is!
I hereby admit to being obsessed with cheesemaking! Yes, I can´t deny it. Any documentary about cheesemaking on TV, I´m glued to the screen. No clue why but I´d love to make cheese myself. This is the best I can do at home so...
For the Cheese bring the milk to boil. As soon as the milk starts coming up, add the vinegar and take it off the range. let it stand there for a few minutes. The whey should seperate itself from what it to become our cheese. Pour it all into a clean cloth or use a self made "tofu press" like mine. Basically you need to get rid of the whey and kinda press the rest into a shape. The harder you press, the firmer the cheese will be in the end. You can pour it into a cloth, tie the four ends together and just let the cheese hang there overnight, maybe over your kitchen sink or the bathtub. You´ll have a lovely cheeseball in the end.
I let mine sit there for about four hours and it was so firm that it could be cut. You can, of course, go with whatever you like and just use it immediately as creamcheese or something.

Yeah, that´s it. Easy, right?
The Mustard is just as easy, just takes more time. This recipe is for Sweet Mustard, hence the sugar. You grind the mustard seeds as fine as you like. Traditionally sweet mustard still has some intact seeds in it so I didn´t really pulverize it. This done you bring the water to a boil and pour it over the mustard...stuff. Let it cool for about 5 Minutes (yes, it´s okay to stir and mix it). Add the rest, mix well, put in a glas, let it rest in the fridge for at least two weeks.
Careful, it´s very hot at first and gets milder with age. I also found that it smells of vinegar but doesn´t taste much like it. Oh, and I used Apple Binegar because I like that best. My lovely tandem partner M`s husband even tasted the apple. Wow.(And they both said they liked it...)
And again: easy. I wanted to make fig mustard and apple mustard with it but didn´t have the time yet. And now it´s almost used up already because it´s good. I guess I´ll have to make more. Betting this´ll make good christmas gifts.





Milk minus whey plus vinegar in my "tofu press".










Cheese is ready!







I have so much more stored here but uni eats my time and my soul so bear with me. I promise I´ll do my best to update more often.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

Da muss ich jetzt auch mal meinen Senf dazu geben.

Sehr interessant.
Wenn Du den Käse länger liegen lässt, wird der dann auch gelb, oder bleibt der so frischkäsemäßig?

weder noch, der wird einfach hart. und nicht-essbar.:)

Post a Comment